Author displays an avatar at the top of the sidebar. By default, Author will use the Gravatar image associated with the site admin's email address.
There are two ways to change the avatar. First, you can signup for Gravatar (it's free) and choose an image to associate with your admin email address. Your image will automatically show in the sidebar once it's associated with your email address.
If you don't want to use Gravatar, follow these steps to upload your own avatar:
- Visit the Customizer (Appearance → Customize)
- Click on the Avatar section
- Select the Upload an image option
- Click the Select Image button
- Use the media manager to upload a new image or select an existing image, and click the Choose Image button
- Click the Save & Publish button to save your changes
Author will now display the avatar you uploaded in the sidebar.